Thursday 19 July 2012

The ONE thing that is New to me

So a square is a rectangle and a rectangle is NOT a square. Now THAT was something new to me. I am sure one of my mathematics teacher told me that before but somehow I just didn't get it. Anyway, I spent my entire journey home looking back at the four sessions that we have been through, trying to figure out the ONE thing that was new to me, that struck me during these four sessions. I thought really hard and realized that I brought home something new about mathematics after every session. Every single problem that was thrown to us, taught me something I didn't know about a Mathematical concept. I am starting to wonder how I managed to score B3s for both my E and A-maths for my O-levels. Did I really master the facts of mathematics???



With that being said, I went through all my notes and decided to go with the ONE activity that left the deepest impression. I would say, the card trick! What a fantastic way to teach children about numbers! What I really like about this particular activity was how the teacher could modify it to teach different mathematical concepts. From spelling numbers to the language of ordinal numbers, the concept of left to right, there is just so much children can learn from this activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment